Friday 20 March 2009

fairground

This was painted in 1952 while doing my national service in the army. It was painted with printers ink which I lifted from the quartermasters stores and I painted it in my barrack room,no mean feat!
The army wasnt all bad,when the education officer saw this painting he found a room for me to use as a studio and arranged an allowance and transport (Bedford 15cwt)and driver to take me in style to evening classes in a nearby town once a week. I ended up teaching art there when the art master went sick. In return for my studio I had to design "Join the regular army" posters.and also paint murals in the mess halls I was pleased to do this as they later took me off all normal duties and so I could paint all day with materials supplied..

No comments:

Post a Comment